Geographical Links throughout the County of Cornwall
|Back to Main Index|
|These pages list most of the towns and villages in Cornwall.
Each entry is a brief pen picture of the place (up to 10 lines).
If you are seeking more detailed information
click on the appropriate button at the end of the description.
This will open a new page containing information relevant to the town or village.
Places with names in bold letters within the description have their own entry in these pages.
|Towns and Villages - St|
|ST AGNES [Pop. (2001) 2,759] This village on the north coast is about halfway between Newquay and St Ives was a centre of copper and tin mining and many of the old engine houses are clearly evident in the area. Stippy Stappy is a terraced row of 18th century sea captain's cottages built on a steep hill. St Agnes has an unusual (for Cornwall) tall and slim pointed spire.
There is a beach at Trevaunance Cove to the north. This cove is a one of the safest beaches for swimming on the north Cornwall coast, but also provides some of the finest surf. It is just shingle at high tide but the falling tide reveals a sandy beach. To the south-west there is a similar beach at Chapel Porth.
St Agnes Head, to the north-west, is a good place to watch the variety of sea birds that frequent the Cornish coast. Gray seals, dolphins and basking sharks can sometimes be seen.
|ST AGNES (Isles of Scilly) is the second smallest of the five inhabited islands and the furthest from the English mainland.
|ST AUSTELL is a town in the centre of the south coast of Cornwall. It is the centre of the china clay industry and probably the most prosperous of the Cornish towns. St Austell is only a few miles from the Eden Project, itself situated in a disused clay pit.
The Holy Trinity Church dates from the 15th Century, the Queen's Head Hotel opposite dates from the 17th Century and the White Hart Hotel on the other side of the church was built as a private residence for Charles Rashleigh (see Charlestown) in the 18th Century. Also alongside the church is the Market House, built for £7,000 in 1844 to replace the smaller one of 1791.
|ST BLAZEY (holy place on the beach) is a village 3 miles east of St Austell on the A390 to Liskeard. Only a mile from the Eden Project.The village gets it's name from St Blaize, a Greek bishop who was martyred for his Christian faith in AD 316. St Blaize is the patron saint of throats as he had a gift for healing throat ailments.
St Blazey was once dominated by the local mining industries and the home of a major railway repair yard, but it is now best known now as being the parish that contains the Eden Project. St Blazey Football Club, playing in the South Western League (now part of the South West Peninsula League Premier Division), was the first team of former England goalkeeper Nigel Martyn. In the 2001 census the population of St Blazey (including Par) was 9,256.
|ST BREWARD (Cornish: Sen Branwalader - named after St Breueredus)
The village of st Breward is located 6 miles north of Bodmin on Bodmin Moor and, at 700 feet above sea level is the highest village in Cornwall. St Breward church (of St Branwalader) tower can lay claim to be the highest in Cornwall as it stands about 750 feet above sea level. Prior to the 19th century the village was known as Simonward. Legend has it that this was the name of the brewer at the court of King Arthur, Simon Ward.
Within the civil parish of St Breward stand the two highest points in Cornwall; Brown Willy (1,378 ft, 420m) and Rough Tor (1,313 ft, 400m).
|ST BURYAN is situated between Penzance and Land's End. It was used as the main location in the filming of Straw Dogs, with Dustin Hoffman and Susan George, in 1971.
|ST CLEER is a rural village between Liskeard and Callington. Several ancient stones in the area including Trethevy Quiot and King Doniert's Stone.|
|ST COLUMB MAJOR is a small town on the A39 between Wadebridge and Truro. Famous for it's annual Silver Ball competition. A few miles away is Castle-An-Dinas, one of the largest and best preserved hill forts in Cornwall. It dates from the Iron Age and was probably the settlement of a local chieftain.|
In the 2001 census the population of St Columb Major was 3,101.
|ST DAY is an old mining community near Redruth.|
|ST DENNIS (originally Dinas meaning "hill fort") is a clay village between St Austell and Newquay.|
|ST EVAL is a village near Padstow. Originally a World War II fighter airfield.|
|ST GERMANS is in the east of Cornwall near Saltash. The home of the Bishop of St Germans who was originally the only bishop in Cornwall -|
|ST ISSEY a village between Padstow and Wadebridge.|
|ST IVE is a rural village between Liskeard and Callington.|
|ST IVES is the seaside town so well loved by the artistic community. Now home to the Tate Gallery, the Dame Barbara Hepworth Museum and the Bernard Leach Potteries.
In the 2001 census the population of St Ives was 9,866.
|ST JULIOT (Cornish: Sen Juliot) is north east of Boscastle. The writer Thomas Hardy came to live in St Juliot in 1870 when he was the architect preparing the church for restoration. He fell in love with and married the rector's daughter, Emma Gifford, in 1874. The church was built in the 15th century with a south aisle and Cornish wagon roof in oak. After the restoration this formed the nave. Hardy's drawing of the church are preserved in the church. The church is dedicated to St Julitta and her Saint's Day is 30th July.|
|ST JUST (IN PENWITH) (after the 6th century missionary Justus) is almost as far west as Land's End. Nearby is the only Cape in Cornwall - Cape Cornwall. St. Just is home to a growing colony of painters and craftspeople to rival that of St. Ives and Newlyn.
In the 2001 census the population of St Just was 1,890.
|ST JUST-IN-ROSELAND is part of the Roseland peninsula. It has a very picturesque church in the banks of St Just creek which is well worth visiting. Look out for heron, egrets and oystercatchers in the area.|
|ST KEVERNE is on the eastern side of the Lizard peninsula.|
|ST MARTINS (Isles of Scilly) is the north eastern of the inhabited islands. Main export is daffodils.|
|ST MARYS (Isles of Scilly) is the main island of the Scillies and has the only airport. Apart from tourism, the main industry is flowers.|
|ST MAWES stands across the mouth of the River Fal from Falmouth. St Mawes Castle combined with Pendennis Castle on the Falmouth side to defend the great naval harbour of Henry VIII.
|ST MAWGAN is a small village north east of Newquay. The RAF station at St Mawgan is also the location of Newquay Airport.|
|ST MERRYN is near Padstow and inland from Trevose Head.|
|ST MINVER is north east of Padstow on the other side of the River Camel.|
|ST NEOT is a village on the edge of Bodmin Moor between Liskeard and Bodmin. Carnglaze Slate Caverns are nearby.|
|ST STEPHEN is a village on the A3058 from St Austell to Newquay. Home of Automobilia - Cornwall's Motor Museum.|
|ST TEATH is on the Atlantic Highway (A39) south west of Camelford.|
|ST TUDY is on the edge of Bodmin Moor between Bodmin and Camelford to the west of the B3266.
For local information visit the village website at www.sttudy.org.uk.