Geographical Links throughout the County of Cornwall
|Back to Main Index|
|These pages list most of the towns and villages in Cornwall.
Each entry is a brief pen picture of the place (up to 10 lines).
If you are seeking more detailed information
click on the appropriate button at the end of the description.
This will open a new page containing information relevant to the town or village.
Places with names in bold letters within the description have their own entry in these pages.
|Towns and Villages - F|
|FALMOUTH situated at the southern end of the A39. Resident population around 22,000. Got it's name by being at the mouth of the River Fal. The town was created in the early 1600s by Sir John Killigrew. The change to a tourist town came shortly after the arrival of the railway, on 24th August 1863, only four years after the completion of Brunel's Royal Albert Bridge between Devon and Cornwall. The original 1863 station is now known as Falmouth Docks station, since the opening of the new Falmouth station (originally called "The Dell") nearer the town centre in 1970.
Today Falmouth is a popular port of call for cruise ships.
The main port of Cornwall. The location of Pendennis Castle and the National Maritime Museum, Falmouth boasts the third deepest natural harbour in the world. It's use as a major Elizabethan port owes much to the recommendation of Sir Walter Raleigh and by the mid 1800's Falmouth was a major trading port with up to 350 sea-going sailing ships anchored in the Carrick Roads.
Pendennis Castle overlooks the entrance to the harbour. This was built between 1539 and 1564 for king Henry VIII to defend the harbour against the French. During the civil war (1642-1646) Pendennis Castle was the second to last fort held by the Royalists to surrender to Cromwell's army.
Henry VIII had another, smaller, castle was built on the other side of the harbour entrance at St Mawes.
It was from Falmouth that the fast ships of the Post Office Packet Service carried mail around the world in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Falmouth offers four good beaches at Gyllyngvase Beach (the main beach alongside Cliff Road), Castle Beach (a narrow beach along Falmouth seafront), Swanpool Beach (along the cliff path from Gyllyngvase Beach and opposite the Swanpool Nature Reserve) and Maenporth Beach (a wide sandy beach two miles south west of Falmouth).
|FLUSHING (from the dutch Vlissingen ?) is on the north side of the Penryn River opposite Falmouth. It started as a Dutch community in the 17th century (founded in 1661), by settlers from Vlissingen in Holland. Many of the captains of the sea-going packet ships built houses here in the Queen Anne style. A passenger ferry runs from Flushing to Falmouth. Boat building has been a major industry in Flushing for over two centuries; firstly with the Falmouth Packet ships of the 18th and 19th centuries, motor torpedo boats (MTBs) during the second world war and more latterly GRP (glass reinforced polymer) sailing boats. The local boatyard does many of the refits for the RNLI lifeboats in the South West.
|FOWEY (pronounced "Foye" and named from Fow-wydh meaning beech trees) is situated on the south coast, about 8 miles east of St Austell. For many years Fowey was the home of the writer Daphne Du Maurier (1907 - 1989). Every year in early May, Fowey and the surrounding area celebrates with the Daphne du Maurier Festival of Arts and Literature. Details appear on the Festival Events pages. The history of the town is long having been used as a port by the Romans, attacked by Spanish in 1380 and the French in 1457. In 1786 the harbour was surveyed by James Cook. Several establishments remain from earlier times - The Ship Inn (1570), Lugger Inn (pre 1782) and The House of Foye (1430). The parish church of St Fimbarrua is dedicated to the first Bishop of Cork, St Finn Barr (613 - 630 AD), who travelled across Cornwall from Padstow to Fowey, via the Saint's Way, on route to Rome.
|FRADDON (from Frodan meaning "small stream") is situated near the juntion of the A30 and A39 near Indian Queens. Nearest railway station is at St Columb Road on the Par to Newquay branch line. Nearest mainline stations are at Truro and St Austell||