Click here to return to the top of this page
Mevagissey harbour  Visiting Cornwall Logo - background is part of Bodmin Moor as seen from Jamaica Inn at Altarnun. The road in the picture is the main A30 through Cornwall. Eden Project near St Austell 
 

Geographical Links throughout the County of Cornwall

 
  Back to Main Index  
     
     
  These pages list most of the towns and villages in Cornwall.
Each entry is a brief pen picture of the place (up to 10 lines).
If you are seeking more detailed information
click on the appropriate button at the end of the description.
This will open a new page containing information relevant to the town or village.
Places with names in bold letters within the description have their own entry in these pages.
 


  A B C D E F G  
  H I J K L M N  
  O P Q R S St T  
    U V W X Y Z  


Towns and Villages - C
CADGWITH is situated on the eastern side of the Lizard peninsula. This little fishing village has many thatched cottages constructed with the local serpentine stone. Just south of Cadgwith is the Devil's Frying Pan. This is a large hole in the ground formed when the land above a deep sea cave collapsed many years ago.

Kit Hill - Click to see a slightly larger image CALLINGTON (Population in 2001 of 4,783) is situated at the junction of the A390, between Liskeard and Gunnislake, and the A388, between Saltash and Launceston, roads.
Callington was once one of the richest copper mining districts in the world and an area of intense industrial activity in the second half of the 19th century. North-east of the town, and dominating the scene for miles around, is the mighty swell of Kit Hill - a wonderful 1,093 ft (333m) hill crowned by an 80ft high stack built in 1858 for the winding and stamping engine of Kit Hill Consols mine. Rumour has it that every known mineral in the world may be found on, or under, Kit Hill. Prince Charles, the Duke of Cornwall, gave the hill to the county in 1985 and it is now a country park.
The largest employer in the town is Ginsters (now owned by Samworth Brothers of Leicester) famed for their Cornish Pasties.
   

 
CAMBORNE (curve of the hill) is situated just off the A30 between Redruth and Hayle. Camborne and Redruth were once the centre of the tin and copper mining industry in Cornwall, but now all that is left are the remains on the engine houses which can be seen on the skyline. The rapid expansion was due largely to the invention, by a local man Richard Trevithick, of the high pressure steam engine, which added mechanical power to mining. His contribution to the town is celebrated every year on his birthday (April 26th) with the Trevithick Day celebrations.
       

 
Camelford main street - click to seen enlarged view CAMELFORD can be found on the A39 (Atlantic Highway) between Wadebridge and Bude. The historic town of Camelford, is situated between the Atlantic coast and Bodmin Moor. The ancient Slaughter Bridge is the legendary site of King Arthur's last battle. The name Camelford has nothing to do with camels. Although is is the site of the ford over the River Allen, the name is derived from the Celtic words cam meaning crooked stream and alan meaning beautiful - originally camalanford, it has since been shortened to Camelford.
   

 
CAPE CORNWALL is the only cape in Cornwall and one of only two in Britain. It is on the coast to the west of St Just and is now in the ownership of the National Trust. A settlement is believed to have existed here since the 4th century. St Helen's Oratory stands on the southern side of the cape.

CARBIS BAY (Carbis meaning cart bridge) is situated on the western side of St Ives Bay just off the A3074. Only a couple of miles from St Ives.
     

CARN BREA is situated on the south-west outskirts of Redruth and dominates the skyline. Originally used by neolithic man as an easliy defended hill fort, there is evidence of similar uses in the Iron Age, Medieval and more modern times. The 15th century castle was possibly built as a hunting lodge for the Basset family of Tehidy. The most recent addition at Cran Brea is the monument to another member of the Basset family, erected in 1836.

The entrance to China Clay Country Park - click to see enlarged view CARTHEW (black hill fort) situated on the B3274 just north of St Austell on the old road to Stenalees. The location of the China Clay Country Park.

 
CHARLESTOWN (named after it's builder) situated off the A390 south-west of St Austell. The location of the Shipwreck, Rescue and Heritage Centre. Charlestown came into existence in 1791 when local businessman Charles Rashleigh selected the fishing village of West Polmear (great cove) as the site for a new harbour to export local stone, tin, copper and china clay. In more recent times Charlestown has been the setting for numerous films and television dramas including Poldark (1975-77), The Eagle Has landed (1976), The Three Musketeers (1993), Moll Flanders (1996), , Rebecca (1996) Frenchman's Creek (1998), Mansfield Park (1998) and Wives and Daughters (1999). Charlestown has managed to retain much of its original early 19th century character and this, plus the south coastal setting, is the appeal to the makers of period dramas.
There are two beaches at Charlestown situated to the east and west of the harbour. The beach to the west is sandy while the eastern beach is large pebbles.

 
  CONSTANTINE (probably named after St Constantine) is situated between Falmouth and Helston.

 
Coverack on the Lizard - click to see larger version COVERACK is a harbour village situated on the eastern side of the Lizard peninsula near Goonhilly Downs and the Earth Station. The harbour wall dates from the 1720s. The lifeboat station was established at the end of the 1890s following the wreck of the steamship Mohegan in 1898 on the Manacle Rocks with the loss of 106 lives. There is a mass grave at St Keverne Church with a simple cross and one word, "Mohegan". Artefacts from the Mohegan can be seen in the Five Pilchards Inn at Porthallow (about 3 miles north of Coverack).

 
Crackington Haven near Bude - Click to see larger version CRACKINGTON HAVEN situated on the North Cornwall coast off the A39 between Camelford and Bude. It has spectacular views of Bude, Morwenstow and Lundy Island.

 
  CRANTOCK situated just along the coast from Newquay. Believed to have been the site of the city of Langorrac which was buried a long time ago by a sandstorm.

 
  CUBERT (named after the parish saint - St Cubert) is situated off the A3075 between Newquay and Goonhavern.  



Created and maintained by Amdow Web Design