Originally the harbour serving the St Agnes mines. This is a sandy beach at low tide but only shingle remains at high tide. At low tide it is possible to walk around to Trevallas Porth. For 2011 this beach meets the European standard for good water quality. Locally known as Aggie Beach. The St Agnes Harbour Company constructed the last of the St Agnes harbours in 1798. The harbour enabled the development of pilchard fishery and general seaborne trade. The harbour stood for 118 years but, due to the lack of maintenance, it was washed away in the storms during the winter of 1915/16.
North of St Agnes village. At the roundabout as you arrive in St Agnes village, turn right and follow the road through the village, past the church and down Town Hill. Just past the Peterville Inn, turn left at the Saffron Gallery and follow the road past the Driftwood Spars Hotel. The beach car park is on the left.
Swimming & Surfing
Popular with swimmers and surfers. The beach has lifeguards from May to September. This is a fairly exposed beach break that has quite reliable surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. The best wind direction is from the south-west with some shelter here from south-west winds. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the ideal swell angle is from the west-south-west. The beach breaks favour rights. Best around mid tide. It's often crowded here. Beware of: Strong currents, large surf, tidal cut-off, deep shelving and strong winds. Take care to avoid the rocks.
Beach shop, café, restaurant and toilets
Limited parking available near the beach.
Dogs are allowed on the beach all year.
Back to Beach Map