PERRAN SANDS, PERRANPORTH
This beach is owned by Perranzabuloe Parish Council, the Ministry Of Defence and Perran Sands Holiday Park. Perran Sands, together with Perranporth Beach (at the end nearest the village of Perranzabuloe), form a three mile stretch of golden sandy beach with good surfing conditions. The beach is backed by dunes. At the rear of the dunes is a footpath that leads to St Piran's Cross. A few hundred yards before reaching the cross the path passes the ruins of St Piran's Oratory. This small chapel, built in the Irish style, was dedicated to St Piran around 450AD. St Piran is reputed to have arrived from Ireland and landed on the beach at Perranzabuloe. Use of the church ceased in the 10th century as it became overwhelmed by the sand. The chapel was rediscovered and excavated in 1835. It is believed to be the oldest remaining place of worship on the British mainland and, after the abbey at Iona, the second oldest in the UK. It has been buried again since 1980 when it was covered in sand to protect it from damage.
There is another beach called Perran Sands at Perranuthnoe, near Penzance.
Swimming & Surfing
There is a fairly exposed reef break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Waves at the beach break both left and right as well as the right hand reef break. Best for surfing around high tide. A fairly popular beach that can get crowded in parts. Warning: Hazards include rips and rocks.
Toilets and shops are located at the south end of the beach at Perranporth.
Lifeguards patrol this beach from 21st May to 25th September 2011.
Car parking is located at the south end of the beach at Perranporth.
Dogs allowed all year around.
Back to Beach Map