HAWKERS COVE, PADSTOW
© Copyright Andy F and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This large sandy beach is on the western side of the camel Estuary opposite Daymer Bay. To the south is the old Padstow lifeboat station that was built in 1931. The first lifeboat was built in 1827 by the Padstow Harbour Association and kept at Hawker’s Cove for the purpose of rescuing sailors that fell foul of the infamous Doom Bar in the mouth of the estuary. This treacherous sandbank has been the cause of over 600 shipwecks since records began around 1800. This running of the lifeboat and the station on the estuary was taken over by the RNLI in 1856. In 1931 a new boathouse and roller slipway were built at Hawker’s Cove for a second motor lifeboat. This station was closed in 1962 because of silting and is now a private residence. In 1967 a new boathouse and 240ft slipway were built at Trevose Head, about 4 miles west of Padstow.
Overlooking the beach are the Pilot Cottages, originally built as homes for the crew of the pilot boats, who would pilot shipping around the sandbars in the Camel Estuary to Padstow and even as far as Wadebridge.
From the crossroads at the top of Padstow take the minor road through Crugmeer and Lellizzick.
Swimming & Surfing
A tiny tea garden at the back of the 200 year old ‘Coastguard Houses’ serves hot and cold drinks, homemade cakes, made to order sandwiches, cream teas, ice creams and various snacks and enjoys fantastic views across the Doom Bar and mouth of the Camel Estuary, to Polzeath and Daymer Bay.
It is approximately 150m from the slipway at Hawkers Cove beach and 50m from the Coast Path.
Parking is available in a farmer's field at nearby Lellizzick Farm
Dogs are allowed at Harbour Cove and Hawkers Cove
Back to Beach Map